What is Functional Medicine?
Functional Medicine is personalized health care that treats the person rather than the disease. Functional Medicine looks at physiology and lifestyle to identify the ROOT cause of chronic disease and provides natural and safe solutions to restore health to optimal functioning.
In contrast, Conventional Medicine treats the problematic areas often without considering the entire body as whole. It addresses symptoms, and uses medication and surgery as their primary tools.
Functional Medicine doesn’t just ask WHAT is wrong, but rather asks WHY.
The KEY Differences between Western Medicine and Functional Medicine:
Western Medicine’s Approach
- Operates as a disease management system
- Treats body systems in isolation of each other
- Best suited for acute care and surgical emergencies
- Suppresses and alleviates symptoms described by the patient
- Follows a standard care model
Functional Medicine’s Approach
- Operates as a patient-centered system
- Optimizes all systems of the body simultaneously
- Best suited for prevention and treatment of chronic disease
- Analyzes the complex interplay between the body, the environment, and the lifestyle of the patient
- Is customized for each individual
What To Expect At Your Functional Medicine Consultation?
Most chronic illness is preceded by long-term decreasing health over time. To help identify areas of poor function, your medical history will be reviewed, with detailed focus on your main areas of concern. All bodily systems are discussed to determine if underlying issues may be contributing to your health condition.
Functional medicine greatly expands a practitioner’s tool kit. As a result, treatments may include a combination of herbal medicines, therapeutic diets, nutritional supplementation or detoxification programs. When necessary, further laboratory testing may be recommended to gather more information. These tests may include:
- Gastrointestinal function testing
- Food sensitivity testing
- Blood work analysis
- Hormone testing
Please contact Madison Acupuncture & Complementary Medicine to schedule a Functional Medicine consultation to determine the root cause of your poor health and successfully treat your health concerns.